With the final preseason game ending Saturday evening, the staff is working diligently to decide who makes this team, and who is released. Overall, it’s a very talented roster at some key positional groups, with offensive line, tight end and linebacker being the three big question marks. I imagine that even after roster cuts on Tuesday, this roster will still not be complete as the staff may be scouring the waiver wire to see what players other teams have released.
Below is my 53-man roster prediction. I have 26 being kept on offense and 24 on the defensive side of the football.
- The new gameday active rule and what happened to the 49ers last season, coupled with the fact that he just played well, make the decision to keep Fromm on the roster a wise one.
- Keeping four running backs is a possibility, but I think we can Patterson or Gore on the practice squad.
- I feel Rivera and company like Milne a LOT more than the fanbase does. Kaz Allen shooting himself in the foot Saturday night makes this decision easier. The tougher decision is seeing if they can get Mitchell Tinsley on the practice squad (which may be hard to do).
- I have zero faith in Logan Thomas, so that’s part of the reason I have us keeping Armah as the fourth TE (or fourth RB - however you want to call it). Alex is versatile and smart, and this staff really likes him. He’s also an excellent special teams guy.
- I am VERY hesitant to put Braeden Daniels on this roster, as he’s just not earned it. However, there is no chance that Rivera and company give up on a fourth round pick this early. I’d rather see Mason Brooks here, but Daniels will be the pick.
- The tough decision here is Jones vs. Henry. By all accounts, Jones has outplayed his rookie counterpart and, in this projection, he’s rewarded with a roster spot.
- This one seems pretty easy. Four seems to be the number here and these are the top guys on the roster.
- Martin could be listed at either slot corner or safety and it’s just semantics as to how you want to call it. Regardless, the rookie makes the team and will likely have some packages where we see him contributing.
- These four seem pretty set in stone, with the wild-card being where/how Del Rio will deploy Martin.
Special Teams (3):