Chatarius “Tutu” Atwell
School: University of Louisville | Conference: Atlantic Coast Conference
College Experience: Junior | Age: 21 (Week 1)
Height / Weight: 5’9” 165 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 3rd round
Player Comparison: J.J. Nelson, KJ Hamler
Tutu Atwell was a former high school quarterback that transitioned to wide receiver. As a wide receiver, he is a speed demon who demands full attention when he gets in the ball in his hands. Louisville made sure to find ways to give Atwell the ball through screens, QB pitches, jet sweeps, quick routes, and deep routes. Atwell posted career highs in his sophomore season with 69 receptions, 1,272 receiving yards on a whopping 18.4 yards per reception with 11 touchdowns, earning First-Team All-ACC honors. Atwell projects to be a slot/gadget player in the pros.
- Elite speed. Estimated 4.27s 40 time.
- Very elusive in the open field.
- Underrated hands. Only 6 drops on 122 catchable passes.
- Speed alone eats up coverage cushion and gets separation.
- Shown glimpses of willingness to get physical catching the ball.
- Fierce competitor
- Very small stature. Listed 165 pounds look generous on tape. Some reports on weight vary between 153-165 lbs.
- Needs to get better as a route runner. Unable to run a full route tree.
- Opted out of the rest of the season with an undisclosed injury.
How Will He Fit On The Team
The Washington Football Team is in dire need of playmakers from the wide receiver position. Outside of Terry McLaurin, Washington needs to garner more big plays from their offensive personnel to complement the team’s stout defense. Atwell provides game-breaking speed and versatility. With Atwell used a lot of pre-snap in Louisville, he can be a dangerous weapon in his offense. Of course, he has his physical limitations on how much he can bulk up if any. In addition, he may be limited in his first pro season unless he learns more of the route tree. If Turner schemes a way to get Atwell the ball in space, he can take it to the house. While Atwell will be limited in his role as a slot/gadget type of receiver, he is a weapon from speed alone that will command the attention of opposing defenses.