The Washington Football Team’s roster is set and week one is six days away. There are still a few practice squad spots open, but besides that, the only things left to shake out are a few starting spots(left guard and linebacker), and who will be the first guys off the bench to either spell a starter or fill in for an injured player.
Below is a look at my projected two-deep depth chart.
QB - Dwayne Haskins Jr., Kyle Allen
RB - Antonio Gibson, J.D. McKissic
WR(X) - Terry McLaurin, Antonio Gandy-Golden
WR(Z) - Dontrelle Inman, Antonio Gandy-Golden
WR(Slot) - Steven Sims Jr., Isaiah Wright
TE - Logan Thomas, Marcus Baugh
LT - Geron Christian Sr., Cornelius Lucas
LG - Wes Martin, Wes Schweitzer
C - Chase Roullier, Keith Ismael
RG - Brandon Scherff, Wes Schweitzer
RT - Morgan Moses, David Sharpe
EDGE - Chase Young, Ryan Anderson
DT(1-Tech) - Daron Payne, Tim Settle
DT(3-Tech) - Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis
EDGE - Montez Sweat, Ryan Kerrigan
OLB - Cole Holcomb, Shaun Dion Hamilton
MLB - Thomas Davis, Jon Bostic
OLB - Kevin Pierre-Louis, Khaleke Hudson
CB - Ronald Darby, Fabian Moreau
CB - Kendall Fuller, Danny Johnson, OR Greg Stroman
Nickle - Jimmy Moreland, Greg Stroman, OR Danny Johnson
FS - Troy Apke, Deshazor Everett
SS - Landon Collins, Kamren Curl
K - Dustin Hopkins
P - Tress Way
LS - Nick Sundberg
Here are some of the question marks that remain:
- If Haskins gets dinged up or struggles...or simply needs a few plays off at the end of a game, who comes in to replace him? Right now I have that being Kyle Allen, but Alex Smith may have something to say about that depending on the situation.
- Who backs up Logan Thomas and comes in when two tight end sets are implemented? I have that player as Marcus Baugh.
- Who gets the starting nod at left guard? Right now, I have Wes Martin slotted as the starter, but that is in VERY FINE pencil, and it could be due more to the fact that Wes Schweitzer sat out a good portion of camp with a nagging injury instead of Martin taking the position.
- Both tackle spots seem set for now, but once rookie Saahdiq Charles gets fully healthy and begins to see meaningful practice reps, can he eventually slip into a starting role - especially if Christian struggles? As of now, I do not have him in the two-deep.
- The biggest question on this roster is who gets the start at linebacker. This one is tough to predict, but it seems that the staff will want to get both speed and leadership on the field - so for now, I have Thomas Davis on the inside, flanked by Holcomb and Pierre-Louis.
- Outside cornerback could be interesting with four guys capable of playing there - Darby, Fuller, Moreau and Moreland. I have Darby and Fuller being the starting two in base, but all four guys should see significant playing time.