Robert Hunt, OT
School: University of Louisiana - Lafayette | Conference: Sun Belt
College Experience: RS Senior | Age: 23
Height / Weight: 6’5” / 323 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 2nd - 4th Round
Player Comparison: Bobby Hart
Robert Hunt has persevered through difficult times. His family had to relocate because of Hurricane Rita, then again when the family’s home burned down. Despite playing for a high school team that only won two games, he went on to earn a scholarship to UL-Lafayette. After redshirting a year, he started the entire season at offensive guard. The next season he transitioned to starter at offensive tackle. Despite being sidelined by a groin injury seven games into his senior year, Hunt played right tackle and was named First Team All-Sun Belt Conference and All-Louisiana First Team.
· Strong in the run game, generating good push and controlling his defender
· Athletic enough to make it to the second level and to get out on the edge and lead block
· Once engaged as a pass blocker, does good job of moving feet to mirror defender.
· Plays with good pad level and leverage despite his height
· Inconsistent technique would need to be improved for him to play tackle; probably transitions to guard
· Slow, heavy feet when pass blocking makes it difficult for him to beat rushers to the edge
· 2017 arrest for theft may create character concerns for Rivera as he establishes culture (charges were dropped and he was suspended one game)
Let’s go to the video tape
How He Fits
I thought I’d be watching a tackle prospect, but what I saw is a player with potential at guard going forward. Hunt has good size, strength, and athleticism, but his lack of technique and heavy feet make it hard to imagine him having sustained success at tackle in the NFL. We drafted a few interior offensive linemen last year and signed a few this offseason. The draft capital needed to acquire Hunt would probably signal the end of the road for Schreff while players like Wes Martin, Wes Schweitzer, and Jeremy Vujnovich fight for the other starting spot at guard. Hunt also adds some versatility because he could play tackle if necessary.