Antoine Winfield Jr, S
School: University of Minnesota | Conference: Big 10
College Experience: Sophomore (Redshirt) | Age: 21
Height / Weight: 5-9 / 203 lbs
Projected Draft Status: Round 2
NFL Comparison: Eric Weddle, Safety
Antoine Winfield Jr. was a 2019 All-Big Ten First Team, Big Ten Defensive Back of the year, 2019 Best Defensive Player in the Nation, 2019 Team MVP, 2019 Outstanding Defensive Player, and a 2019 Unanimous All-American. Winfield Jr. recorded 177 career tackles, four sacks, three touchdowns (1 as a punt returner), nine interceptions, and a blocked field goal.
- Takes great angles (both pass and run)
- Effective form tackler in the box and in space
- Instinctive, high IQ player / Does not rely primarily on athleticism (which is average)
- Ball tracking is good
- Serviceable single-high safety, but an interchangeable defender
- Turnover creator
- How will he be able to compete against tight ends and receivers on a consistent basis in 1-on-1 coverage? Size is a hindrance, but can he overcome it?
- Athleticism hurts him when over-committing/biting on fakes, typically does not allow him to recover in time. How significant is that in the pros if Winfield Jr. is asked to play in zone coverage, or generally the last man of defense?
- Injuries - can his body withstand a 16-game season on a yearly basis? Winfield Jr. has missed a substantial amount of time throughout his career.
How he would fit on the Redskins
Antoine Winfield Jr. is another versatile defender who is capable of playing multiple positions for defensive coordinators. For the Redskins specifically, he will complement safety Landon Collins tremendously, as his IQ and sure tackling ability can trigger Collins to play more aggressively and allow defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio to be more flexible in his play-calling.