Another week, another loss to a division rival! Sound familiar...well it should, and we probably need to get used to it.
We were in this game until the second half when Dallas decided to impose its will on our injury-depleted defense. As you can expect, things turned pretty ugly, and if not for a score in the late minutes, when the game was already out of hand, the score would have been worse.
If any good can be taken from this, the Skins seemed to escape the game without any more significant injuries.
Below are my Studs and Duds, followed by some notes.
Terry McLaurin - Scary Terry didn’t catch a deep bomb this game, but he showed so much regardless. He’s truly a work of art as a route runner and man can this young man compete! The toughness and precision are what make him special. On the day, he caught five passes for 62 yards and another touchdown. He’s the complete opposite of Josh Doctson...in a GOOD way!
Terry McLaurin is good! pic.twitter.com/OeJQdGuY9h— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
Daron Payne - It may have been hard to notice most of the game, but Payne was active inside, and recorded numerous pressures on the afternoon despite being double teamed at times.
Montae Nicholson - Playing at less than 100%, Nicholson was solid in run support recording 9 tackles. In coverage he had a pass defended, and interception and almost came up with another in the endzone.
Tress Way - Way punted four times for a 56 yard average and had all four land inside the 20.
Troy Apke - He made a SOLO special teams tackle!
Brandon Scherff - Scherff must be spending too much time with Morgan Moses now that Trent Williams is not around, because Moses’ holding habits are starting to wear off on Brandon!
Morgan Moses - We all figured Morgan Moses would struggle against Lawrence and the right tackle DID NOT disappoint.
My GOODNESS is Morgan Moses just abused here! pic.twitter.com/zyYVKPUiA1— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
Vernon Davis - Davis dropped an easy catch, and went BACKWARDS on a completion right near the sticks that would have been an easy first down. His blocking was bad on the afternoon.
Anyone want to tell me what Vernon Davis is doing here and why the hell he not going forwards after the catch!!! pic.twitter.com/QbVegOgWaR— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
Josh Norman - Wow, it’s time to move on from Norman...unfortunately, it won’t happen until next year, but right now, next year can’t come soon enough! It has become a weekly occurrence(and it’s only week two) watching Norman get burnt deep. His coverage is atrocious and his moxy is gone! But hey, at least he can hurdle a bull!
Why in the hell is Norman giving this much cushion??? pic.twitter.com/sj3L6Eqjim— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
Deshazor Everett - I know he was thrown into a tough situation, but the safety, who was forced to play some corner, was not very good! He gave up multiple completions and a TD down by the endzone.
Greg Manusky - I understand we have played two very good offenses so far, but when is enough, enough! GET THIS GUY OUTTA HERE! He has ZERO clue how to run a defense!
- Ryan Kerrigan did have a sack, but his defense wasn’t great against the run, and he ran himself out of way too many plays, leaving creases in the run game. He also had some missed tackles on the afternoon. I was close to putting him in the Dud category
I’m seeing this way too much against mobile QB’s where Ryan Kerrigan just takes himself out of the play and creates a lane. pic.twitter.com/n9BaPbcQoj— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
- Rookie Montez Sweat made some very nice plays against the run and was there when Kerrigan recorded his sack.
- Jimmy Moreland played well, despite giving up a few completions and missing a tackle on a quick screen that would have been for no gain. He easily outplayed every other corner on the field for the Redskins - although that’s not saying too much...
I’ll give Jimmy Moreland some credit. He’s usually a very good tackler. He fights his way through the block here, but can’t come up with the shoe-string tackle. pic.twitter.com/DEkTicFWEr— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
- There was a play late in the game on defense down by the goalline where Tim Settle just destroyed the All-Pro Martin, driving him five yards deep into his own backfield.
Watch Tim Settle just destroy the All-Pro Nick Martin here. pic.twitter.com/CMCIzZhXkJ— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
- Richardson had three receptions for 19 yards and a late TD...but man, he can’t block!
You know how Jay always says how important it is for WR’s to block - Paul Richardson didn’t do it here. pic.twitter.com/wyewCJEsCw— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
- I noticed Ryan Anderson is often in the right place on D, but just can’t make a play!
Anderson sees the down-block and the TE coming to kick from the backside. Now SQUEEZE it and blow that TE up!— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) September 16, 2019
The guy just doesn’t seem to make plays... pic.twitter.com/3EQu5DBRzf
- I’m not about to give him Stud status, but Penn is MORE than serviceable.
- Roullier had some good and bad plays, but man can he operate in space!