Chase Winovich, EDGE
School: Michigan | Conference: Big Ten
College Experience: RS Senior | Age:
Height / Weight: 6’3” / 255 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 3rd round
NFL Comparison: Markus Golden
Chase Winovich began his career as a TE before transitioning to 4-3 defensive end where he played for three years. Per interview below, he worked his way from 205 lbs as a freshman to over 250 lbs by the end of his collegiate career. His collegiate sack numbers are relatively modest; his highest stat total was 8.5 in 2017, but he also accrued 19.0 tackles for loss in 2017 and 15.0 in 2018.
- Lives in the offensive backfield
- Great at pursuing ball carriers.
- Gives full effort every play
- Vicious hands
- Attacks offensive lineman relentlessly
- Great character (see interview)
- Not the most creative or efficient rusher.
- Gets too drawn into misdirection plays in the backfield
- Can get too lost in his intensity
- Not much tape of Winovich in pass coverage
- Doesn’t disengage well
Vs. Notre Dame:
Vs. Penn State:
Interview with Rich Eisen (via Rich Eisen Show):
How does he fit with the Redskins?
Winovich provides needed depth along the EDGE if the Skins prefer to focus heavy on offense early in the draft. While he’s not a burner, Winovich did run a sub-4.6 40-yard dash. Winvoch adds good depth to the EDGE position if Washington focuses their first two selections on offense. Winovich can develop into a starter within a year or two. With the intensity he plays with, he can make an immediate impact as a rookie on defense or special teams. He’s the type of hard nose, blue-collar personality that would make him a favorite among coaches and plays with the type of intensity to be a fan-favorite.