Bruce Allen thinks the Redskins are close!
Queue all the Laughing Out Loud, Roll on the Floor Laughing My Ass Off, HaHa, etc, etc emojis and GIFS.
To Bruce Allen, humor just may be the greatest form of flattery...
Regardless of what motivates Allen, the rest of the league, national media, and fans all think he’s a joke! The on-going situation involving star left tackle Trent Williams, and Allen’s supposed refusal to trade the disgruntled Pro Bowler only lends further credence to this notion.
JP Finlay recently penned an article stating that Allen won’t trade Williams now, but could that change...with a question mark at the end. Finlay reported an unnamed source inside the organization wouldn’t be surprised if something happens before the deadline. The question revolves around players vs. draft picks, and some feel Allen may want a star player in return for Trent instead of picks.
The Cleveland Browns seem like the most logical suitor at this point as its been published that general manager John Dorsey has engaged in talks with Allen about trading for Williams, but those discussions have come back empty as Allen has told Dorsey (and supposedly others) that Trent is not available.
From @gmfb: The #Redskins aren‘t trading Trent Williams this year, despite #Browns GM John Dorsey’s repeated attempts, but there are indications it could happen after the season. pic.twitter.com/yVCFdlQoCH— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) October 19, 2019
Maybe Bruce is playing coy with others (hard to imagine though) and waiting until closer to the deadline for an offer he can’t refuse.
In the spirit of pure amusement, let’s look at some potential offers involving players that may be too good for Bruce Allen to pass up.
Browns receive - Trent Williams
Redskins receive - Denzel Ward
- Ward is a young, talented corner who was a first round pick in the 2018 NFL draft and is under contract until 2021, with a 5th year option that can be exercised for the 2022 season. Josh Norman will most likely not be brought back next year, and the Redskins will need someone to step into his spot on the outside.
Vikings receive - Trent Williams
Redskins receive - Stefon Diggs
- In this trade, Diggs would get to return back to the DMV and Vikings tackle Riley Reiff can kick to the right side. Imagine Dwayne Haskins Jr. throwing to Diggs and Terry McLaurin!
Broncos receive - Trent Williams
Redskins receive - Patrick Peterson
- The 29 year old Peterson is still considered to be in his prime. He was suspended for the team’s first six games of 2019 due to a violation of the league’s performance enhancing drug policy, but was activated this past week. He could lock down the outside corner spot for the next few years as the Redskins move on from Norman.
Bucs receive - Trent Williams
Redskins receive - O.J. Howard and a 3rd round pick
- Despite a hefty new contract extension, Donovan Smith is not a very good left tackle. A move to the right side may be best for the former second round pick. In Howard, the Redskins could get their replacement for injured tight end Jordan Reed and design an offense around his unique skill-set.
Bengals receive - Trent Williams
Redskins receive - A.J. Green and a 3rd round pick
- The Bengals are not very good, and are likely to select a quarterback high in the 2020 NFL draft for new head coach Zac Taylor to mold. He’ll need to protect his new investment and Williams should provide just that for the foreseeable future. A.J. Green is no spring chicken, but when healthy, can still be a great receiver for a young quarterback still learning his way in the league.
What Player-for-Player trade scenario would you prefer if we moved Trent Williams before the deadline?
This poll is closed