Minkah Fitzpatrick, S
School: Alabama | Conference: SEC
College Experience: Junior | Age: 21
Height / Weight: 6-1 / 201 lbs
Projected Draft Status: Round 1
NFL Comparison: Tyrann Mathieu
Minkah Fitzpatrick, out of New Jersey, is an St. Peters Prep standout playing wide receiver and defensive back. The five-star recruit committed to Alabama, coming into Tuscaloosa as the number four ranked cornerback in the nation. As a freshman, Fitzpatrick earned Freshman All-American and Freshman All-SEC notices. The versatile defensive back finished his career at Alabama with 171 total tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, 16.5 sacks, nine interceptions, and four defensive touchdowns (school record). Minkah also earned first-team All-American honors in 2016, as well as the Chuck Bednarik and Jim Thorpe Awards of 2017.
- Versatile defensive back. Can play in the box, at free, or at slot cornerback, all at a high-level. 4.46 speed, has range and acceleration to cover all levels of the field.
- Field and situational awareness are high, with his competitive mentality he will be a ball hawk.
- Excellent edge blitzer creating advantages for defense in critical down and distances.
- Thrives on special teams.
- Versatile defensive back, but needs to develop at free safety.
- Inconsistent in pursuit of ball-carrier.
- Struggles in man coverage, specifically off-man. Slow reaction/anticipation, creates separation between him and receiver.
Let’s see his work:
#DraftNotes: Alabama players frequently refer to Minkah Fitzpatrick as "Coach Saban's son". He's the only player that's ever made Saban smile. Fitzpatrick also is the only player Saban has ever allowed in coaches meetings to watch film on Sundays or the day after games.— J.R. (@JReidDraftScout) March 27, 2018
Ray Lewis breaking down Minkah Fitzpatrick on a blitz. pic.twitter.com/aalhvg9wM2— The Mick Nartin™ (@themicknartin) March 19, 2018
With the 7th pick in this 2018 DTH Mock Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select.. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama pic.twitter.com/Xd7xcR169g— Defend The House (@DTHFootball) March 20, 2018
How He Would Fit On The Redskins
Minkah Fitzpatrick is what Tyrann Mathieu was to the Arizona Cardinals. A versatile, explosive, do it all defensive back who can be used in a multitude of ways. The advantage Minkah has over Tyrann is his size, Fitzpatrick can also play in sub-packages on the pro-level that allows three safeties to be on the field at one time. Montae Nicholson, D.J. Swearinger, and MinkahFitzpatrick is a trio that will wreak havoc on offenses due to the speed of Nicholson and Fitzpatrick followed by Swearinger’sability to thrive at the line of scrimmage as a box safety. It can also create disguise looks where Swearinger or Fitzpatrick can blitz off the edge adding already to the Redskins dynamic pass-rush. Fitzpatrick if available at 13 may undoubtedly be the best player available, and the Redskins should not hesitate to pull the trigger.