I am not a cap expert so take this for what it's worth., but I am looking at some potential free agents that fit where we stand in terms of spending combined with areas of need.
1. Sam Bradford, QB - This is a weird one. Bradford has the talent and it flashes just enough to make you think he might be worth something. For our situation it could be a win-win. If Kirk leaves we could use a veteran quarterback while we work on finding a young guy in the draft and Bradford proved in Minnesota that he still has something left. This could be moot if Kirk resigns.
2. Morris Claiborne, CB - The forgotten bust of the Cowboys, Clainborne as rebuilt his career the last two seasons and played well for the Jets and Todd Bowles this season on a one year deal. With Brashaud Breeland probably leaving, there is a hole at corner. Kendall Fuller has turned into a great slot corner and in a division with Aghalor and Beasley, that's important. Quinton Dunbar resigned so maybe they go there but Claiborne could be an interesting fit.
3. Dontari Poe/Bennie Logan, DT - Here we go again. These two headed my list from last year and both signed one year deals. If there was a position worth gassing up Redskins One and making the big push for. With Allen and Ionnadis in place, a true nose tackle could make the d-line great and free up an early draft pick for something else (like quarterback).
4. Isiah Crowell, RB - The curse of Alfred Morris continues. Since he left the following guys have played running back: Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, Samaje Perine, Byron Marshall, Kapri Bibbs, Pierre Thomas, Rob Kelley, Mack Brown and Daryl Young. That's just the last three seasons. Of these it appears Perine and Thompson are the only keepers, but neither right now are that every down back. Crowell is a guy with a ton of potential and has put up some pretty good stats in his time splitting carries in Cleveland, including back to back 8 touchdown scored. He and Perine would make a nice combo which would free up Thompson to force all kinds of defensive mis-matches.
5. Sammie Watkins, WR - This is another Danny special if we can make this happen. We undoubtably had some of the worst skill position players in the NFC this year and wide reciever was especially bad. Crowder is great but past him Ryan Grant is a hard worker but limited and Josh Doctson is still trying to find himself. This is a spot where the team really does need to invest some money in. It might be crazy to think Watkins would leave LA for DC, but he has actually been under-utilized in LA and clearly not the number 1. He would get all of the catches here.
6. Todd Davis, LB - He's put together a great career this far in Denver from an undrafted free agent and could be an alternative to either Zach Brown or add him alongside Brown. We all love Foster and Compton, but along with Spaight they just aren't good enough talent-wise. They play really had and have moments but when you see someone like Zach Brown out there you understand what talent looks like. Todd Davis is like that as well.
7. Trey Burton, TE - Yes! Let's take one away from Philly. I am incredibly worried about Jordan Reed's future, its concerning that he just cannot get on the field and it's not from things like broken bones or torn knee ligaments, its always something naggng that is either not treated right or Reed isn't taking care of. We need more help past Vernon Davis, all 35 years of him. Burton is an exceptional talent that might look to get out of Philly so he can be more of a number 1
8. Tre Boston, FS - We do not have a true free safety. DJ Swearinger should be playing strong safety in the Kam Chancellor/Deonne Buchanon mode where he get get big hits in the run game and cause chaos. Boston is a true free safety who was a ball hawk with the Chargers this year, snagging 5 INTs and recording 54 tackles. We were woeful in the turnover department this season. Also, Boston is just 25 years old so he's got room to grow. Torian Gray is a rising coaching star and did great in rebuilding Breeland, growing Fuller and letting Swearinger loose. Boston could be a great addition.
9. DJ Fluker, G - A massive man, he is talented but underachieving. Working with Bill Callahan could be just what is needed and could fill that hole in our line that is killing us right now. Trent is entrenched and so are Moses and Scherff. Chase Roullier seems to have locked down the center position so a young guy like Fluker playing next to Trent and under Callahan could be a great and affordable addition.
10. ALFRED MORRIS! Let's right the wrong of 2015.