The 5 o’clock club aims to provide a forum for reader-driven discussion at a time of day when there isn’t much NFL news being published. Feel free to introduce topics that interest you in the comments below.
Redskins Wire posted an article about two weeks ago -- 3 potential surprise starters for the Redskins. It’s a 3-page slide show, so I’ll save you the trouble: the three players listed are Arie Kouandjio, Chris Thompson and Joey Mbu.
Dunno about you, but here are my quick thoughts on those three:
- AK would qualify only as a mild surprise. Shawn Lauvao is the weakest of the 5 linemen, and coaches & fans have always had high hopes for Arie. The only surprise would be that AK hasn’t looked all that good in limited action so far.
- Chris Thompson would be a surprise, not because of talent, but because he simply doesn’t have the size to be a 25-touch-per-game type, and with his injury history, Gruden has always said he feels the need to ‘protect’ Thompson. From a skill standpoint, CT is probably the best running back on the team right now.
- The Redskins need a NT. Mbu would be a surprise, but like AK, only a mild surprise. Gruden talked him up in a press conference during OTAs, so it’s really just a question of whether Mbu can develop quickly.
AK & Mbu would be mild surprises, but not shocks. Thompson should continue his role as a 2nd & 3dr down back, but it wouldn’t rate as a surprise to see him in on 1st down from time to time. It would be shocking to see Gruden try to use him as a workhorse back.
So, my questions today:
- Which player from the 2016 team — that is currently on the Redskins roster — is most likely to get cut by the end of training camp?
- Which late round draft pick (rounds 5-7) or UDFA is most likely to be on the roster and make an impact in 2017?
Is DeAngelo Hall likely to end up in the Redskins Ring of Fame?
This poll is closed