Rasul Douglas, CB
School: West Virginia | Conference: BIG 12
College Experience: Senior | Age: 22
Height / Weight: 6-2 / 205 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 3rd Round
NFL Comparison: Deiondre Hall
Rasul Douglas was one of the hottest names to come out of Mobile this past week. The former West Virginia cornerback was praised for his football intelligence and leadership during Senior Bowl week. This is hardly the first time Douglas has been recognized, though, the senior cornerback had a breakout season, his first as a starter., this past year. Douglas has the ideal size and frame for a modern NFL cornerback, he also is a solid tackler and displayed great awareness and coverage skills racking up 8 interceptions and 8 passes defended on the year. Douglas looks to start a trend of prototypical cornerbacks coming out of West Virginia following former teammate Daryl Worley (now with the Panthers).
- Prototypical size and frame.
- Very impressive in coverage particularly when playing a zone, his awareness is what will set him apart from other prospects.
- Solid tackler.
- Size combined with allows him to challenge almost any receiver anywhere on the field.
- Technique needs some work, looks a bit stiff and rigid at times when he has to suddenly change direction or make haste with his back pedal.
- Requires work in man and press coverage, will need to learn how to control receivers at the LOS and become more fluid in his turn.
- Seems a bit limited athletically as far as acceleration, stick him on Kelvin Benjamin not Odell Beckham on a go route.
Let’s see his work:
Rasul Douglas showing some of the hallmarks of tall CB struggles: high hips, lack of fluidity in/out of breaks. #seniorbowl— Luke Easterling (@LukeEasterling) January 25, 2017
Rasul Douglas/DB/West Virginia gets too handsy beyond five yards and drew a few flags. Also fights the ball in drills. #SeniorBowl— Draft Analyst (@DraftAnalyst1) January 25, 2017
WVU CB Rasul Douglas has made some serious money this week. He's been outstanding #seniorbowl— Mike Margittai NFL (@DraftMaverick) January 26, 2017
Tell me why Rasul Douglas isn't a top 50 player. I'll wait.— Jonah Tuls (@JonahTulsNFL) January 28, 2017
How He Would Fit On The Redskins
Douglas certainly checks the boxes physically for the type of cornerback Scot McCloughan has favored in the past. The young man is a smart but raw talent and will require some polishing before he’s completely ready to see the field. Douglas certainly is intriguing from a depth and development standpoint. How he tests at the combine will be key for his availability in the mid rounds. If he does well as I think he may the Redskins might not even have a chance to draft him before their pick in the 3rd, if he does ok there may be more polished or at minimum more need-oriented options. Douglas projects well to the Redskins defense at least in theory, in the past the team as played a lot of zone coverage, the type of coverage Douglas is proficient in, if that is still going to be a huge part of the defense I think Douglas will get plenty of interest from the Skins on day 2 of the draft.