Sponsor message: FanDuel has a special offer for SB Nation fans — The FanDuel 5-Pack. It’s 5 free contest entries for new players only, no experienced players allowed. Play now!
As a reminder, this article isn’t meant to literally tell you that you should always start the guys I say to start and/or always sit the guys I say to sit. This is just my prediction as to who will do better than expected (Start ‘Em) and who will do worse than expected (Sit ‘Em). I also try to avoid putting the obvious names on this list. Yes, you’re pretty much always going to start Cam Newton, Antonio Brown, Gronk, and the like. It goes without saying.
- Philip Rivers, SD (vs New Orleans Saints) - He’s at home against one of the worst defenses in the league. Big bounce-back game coming.
- Blake Bortles, JAX (vs Indianapolis Colts) - He’s at home against a terrible defense. The team isn’t doing well and Bortles hasn’t played especially well, yet he still puts up pretty good fantasy numbers. Should be a big game this week.
- Kirk Cousins, WAS (vs Cleveland Browns) - He’s been killing it in fantasy this year with all those yards he keeps racking up. He should put up another huge number at home against the lowly Browns.
- Marcus Mariota, TEN (@ Houston Texans) - He’s sophomore slumping big time and the Texans have the best pass defense in the league. Plus he’s on the road.
- Joe Flacco, BAL (vs Oakland Raiders) - Last week he barely had over 200 yards and threw for 0 TDs and 2 INTs against Jacksonville... You can do better than him this week.
- Matt Ryan, ATL (vs Carolina Panthers) - Couldn’t even hit 250 yards last week against the Saints. The Panthers defense is much better. No one’s hit 250 against them yet this year...
- Melvin Gordon, SD (vs New Orleans Saints) - He’s having a great year, he’s at home, Woodhead’s out of the picture, and the Saints defense is trash. He’s also already scored 4 TDs... ‘Nuff said.
- C.J. Anderson, DEN (@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - The Bucs rushing defense is not good. I can see Denver getting a lead and letting Anderson go to work.
- LeSean McCoy, BUF (@ New England Patriots) - Ride the hot hand. Dude put up 110 and 2 last week... New OC’s being smart and leaning on the running game.
- Christine Michael, SEA (@ New York Jets) - I know he had a great game last week, but the Jets in NY are a different animal for opposing RBs. Plus, I’m thinking there might be something to that C.J. Spiller signing...
- Latavius Murray, OAK (@ Baltimore Ravens) - On the road against a very good rushing defense, Murray is too TD-dependent for my liking. Had he not scored last week, he wouldn’t have provided much in fantasy. He’s gotten some TDs, but has yet to surpass 60 yards in a game on the season.
- Chris Ivory, JAX (vs Indianapolis Colts) - He didn’t look 100% last week to me and their OL is trash. Hard to start with Yeldon getting so many snaps...
- Alshon Jeffery, CHI (vs Detroit Lions) - He’s getting the yards but just missing the scores. That should change this week at home against a Lions defense that gives up tons of passing TDs.
- Marvin Jones, DET (@ Chicago Bears) - Averaging 20+ yards per catch and gets at least one 30+ yarder every game. Averaging 6 receptions, 136 yards, and 1 TD per game this year and coming off of a 6/205/2 game last week. Super hot. He’s taken Johnson’s place in this offense.
- Allen Robinson, JAX (vs Indianapolis Colts) - Came to life last week with a couple of TDs. I expect Bortles to keep looking his way (he’s averaging 10+ targets per game).
- Markus Wheaton, PIT (vs Kansas City Chiefs) - His long-awaited season debut happened last week. 1 catch for 2 yards... Chiefs pass defense is super tough, especially in KC.
- Vincent Jackson, TB (vs Denver Broncos) - He’s 33 now and it’s starting to show. The Broncos defense is elite and the game’s in Denver.
- Mike Wallace, BAL (vs Oakland Raiders) - Only managed 34 yards last week against Jacksonville. Told you he’d cool off... Way to inconsistent.
- Jordan Reed, WAS (vs Cleveland Browns) - He’s going to break-out this week. Don’t let recent production put you off.
- Hunter Henry, SD (vs New Orleans Saints) - Had a great first start last week and is a major part of that offense as long as Gates is sidelined. Have to like a home match-up against the Saints.
- Kyle Rudolph, MIN (vs New York Giants) - He’s getting mad targets. That’s half the battle. Has a TD in two straight games.
- Julius Thomas, JAX (vs Indianapolis Colts) - Coming off of a 2-catch, 13-yard performance...
- Zach Miller, CHI (vs Detroit Lions) - He’s better with Hoyer than Cutler. Who’s going to play QB?
- Jacob Tamme, ATL (vs Carolina Panthers) - Poor showing last week and going against a tough defense.
Please leave any fantasy related questions you might have in the comments section and I'll try to answer as many and as quickly as I can. It's fun to get everyone's perspectives on this week's match-ups floating around down there and I'm always interested to see what kind of decisions different fantasy players have to make. These are just general ideas for standard leagues, but we can all give and receive advice for unique situations as they come up.