Building on what looks to be another stellar draft by Scot "McLovin" McCloughan, the Redskins have added Su'a Cravens in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft. Announced by Ken Harvey, the pick is an investment in the defense, as the USC product can contribute in multiple ways.
The Redskins are currently set to pick again at #84 in the third round.
Here was our scouting report, prepared by Gabe Ward (Cadillactica):
Su'a Cravens, S/LB
School: USC | Conference: PAC-12
College Experience: Junior | Age: 20
Height / Weight: 6-1 / 226 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 2nd Round
NFL Comparison: Deone Buchanon
Su'a Cravens is one of the most interesting prospects in the draft this year. USC deployed him all over the field. Cravens began his career as a safety at USC before being moved to a linebacker role his last two seasons. Cravens was used as a box safety, weakside linebacker, strongside linebacker, inside linebacker, and even appeared as times to play a little slot corner. He is, without a doubt, one of the most versatile players in this draft. There are a lot of ideas about what his best position would be in the NFL. Some view him as a weakside OLB in a 4-3. Others view him as a strong safety. Some even think he's an ILB in a 3-4. My two cents say that Su'a Cravens is a box safety at the next level one that has the speed and athleticism to stick with TEs, RBs, and slot receivers and one that is incredibly gifted at creating pressure off the edge. The strengths, weaknesses, and fit are going to be based on my view that his best fit is a safety with the Redskins.
- Excellent size for a strong safety. He's long and moves fluidly.
- Terrific initial burst off the edge when asked to pass rush. Good pursuit when coming off the edge.
- Excelled in his role covering the slot as a linebacker. Could come in and play nickel.
- Can lay the wood when he tackles. It's almost scary at times when he launches. When he locks on he's going for it.
- Can get off blocks from TEs and FBs. Has good vision can be a missile when playing the run.
- Can get lost in the trash sometimes – this happened when he played inside linebacker. Lacks the block shedding strength and skills to play from that position.
- His discipline is going to be tested when he has to cover 2. I'm projecting a bit here but will his physical playing style help or hurt him in the deep cover situations?
- Needs to play with more urgency when playing the run from the backside.
Let's see his work:
NFL Draft Coverage
Date: Fri., April 29
Time: 7 p.m. ET
TV: NFL Network, ESPN
Round 2: 7 Minutes, Round 3: 5 Minutes Per Pick
Date: Sat., April 30
Time: 12 p.m. ET
TV: NFL Network, ESPN
Rounds 4-6: 5 Minutes Per Pick, Round 7: 4 Minutes Per Pick
Hogs Haven 2016 Draft Profiles
Final Redskins Mock Draft Roundup
Washington Redskins 2016 Draft Picks
Round 1(#22): Josh Doctson
Round 2(#53): Su'a Cravens
NFL news twitter feed:
Tweets from https://twitter.com/HunterLoganX/lists/nfl-rumors-and-reporters
Redskins twitter feed:
Tweets from https://twitter.com/HunterLoganX/lists/beat-writers