School: Boston College | Conference: ACC
College Experience: Senior | Age: 22
Height / Weight: 6-2 / 202 lbs
pSparq: 134.9 / NFL %: 96.2
Projected Draft Status: 6th - 7th Round
NFL Comparison: Antone Exum
Justin Simmons is a tall, rangy, and very athletic free safety from Northern Virginia that was a four-year player at Boston College. His last two years as a full-time starter, Simmons accumulated 143 tackles, 7 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and a sack, and in 2015 was recognized as to the second team All-ACC.
Simmons destroyed the Combine, and although had impressive performances on tape and at the East-West Shrine game, really got on a lot of teams' radars with his athletic display. His 20-yard short shuttle was one of the fastest since 2006, and recorded an excellent vertical (40"), 3-cone (6.58 seconds) and broad jump (10.5'), which translate to explosiveness and agility on the field. His testing numbers in all categories except the 40-yard dash were as good or better than athletic "freaks" Jalen Ramsey and Vernon Hargreaves, both expected to be top-10 picks in the upcoming Draft.
Off the gridiron, Simmons is getting married before the Draft and looks forward to coaching Pop Warner after his NFL career.
- Willing and surprisingly able tackler despite lean frame
- Takes good pursuit angles downhill
- Shows ability to recognize and jump routes, attacks screens before they develop
- Excellent change-of direction ability and ball skills
- Experience at corner, although natural position is free safety / center fielder
- Naturally slender frame with little room for additional bulk
- Stiff, high-cut build with tight hips; easily exposed in man-to-man coverage
- Lacks a "top gear" to chase and bring down speed players
- Can be bulldozed by powerful backs & receivers due to high center of gravity
Justin Simmons had the highest SPARQ score for safety according to @zjwhitman.— Dr Evil (@DraftCowboys) March 20, 2016
Just wrapped up an interview with BC FS Justin Simmons. Sometimes you can tell that a kid just gets it. He's going to be a solid pro.— TURRON DAVENPORT (@TDavenport_NFL) March 17, 2016
Good range and athleticism here by Justin Simmons of Boston College pic.twitter.com/JahEVOwAyG— George Stockburger (@DraftStock_1) February 21, 2016
Justin Simmons (BC) v Rashad Greene https://t.co/FphN32eTUl— Brandon Taylor (@brandonEMG) January 22, 2016
justin simmons plays this perfectly pic.twitter.com/OWTwZWOSD0— charles (@SundayFiasco) January 18, 2016