Here are this week's headlines:
-While at the combine, Jerry Jones stated to the media that the team is still not sure if Kyle Orton will return in 2014. Back in 2012, Orton signed a three year deal to be Tony Romo’s backup. If he does indeed retire, the Cowboys currently have no other backups on the roster.
-It was reported this week that Johnny Manziel will be one of 60 players that the team will meet with at the combine. They have the 16th pick in the draft, and it is expected that Manziel will no longer be available by then. Jerry Jones has also gone on the record saying the club will not pick a quarterback in the early rounds of the upcoming draft.
New York Giants:
-On Friday, it was announced that head coach Tom Coughlin had signed a one year contract extension that will keep him at the helm through the 2015 season. Coughlin is the NFL’s oldest head coach and will be working with a new offensive coordinator next season in former Packers’ quarterback coach, Ben McAdoo. McAdoo was brought in this offseason to revive Eli Manning’s career and is expected to bring a more vertical passing attack to the Giants’ offense.
-General Manager Jerry Reese said on Saturday that the Giants will let free agents Justin Tuck and Hakeem Nicks test the free agent waters. Tuck had 11 sacks last year, but will turn 31 in March. Nicks had 56 receptions for 896 yards and a disappointing zero touchdowns. The team believes wide receiver Reuben Randle, who had a team high 6 touchdowns in 2013, can have a much bigger role next season.
-In what has been a quiet offseason thus far, there was one bit of news from Eagles land this week. It was reported that the Eagles prefer to re-sign free agent wide receiver Jeremy Maclin over free agent wide receiver Riley Cooper. Maclin has said that he would like to remain in Philadelphia and also stated that he realizes he may have to sign a one year “prove it” deal after suffering a torn ACL last season.