For the past 7 months we've had to relegate much of our football discussion to ACL injuries, oversized and unearned quarterback contracts and countless rookies that will never take a regular season snap. That sure was fun, but now we get to do something even better: talk about actual football games. Screw the holidays; the most wonderful time of the year is right now. Yes, NFL football is finally back, and to mark the occasion we decided to share our writer's predictions for the 2013 season with you. Hell, everyone else does it, so why not us too?
Please note that all predictions were made prior to Thursday night’s Ravens at Broncos game. If this had not been the case, then "Peyton Manning" may very well have been the unanimous pick to win every division and award.
|Mark Bullock||Dan Ciarrocchi||Keely Diven||James Dorsett||Kevin Ewoldt|
|NFC Wild Cards||Seahawks, Bears||49ers, Falcons||Giants, Seahawks||49ers, Packers||Seahawks, Rams|
|AFC Wild Cards||Ravens, Colts||Steelers, Ravens||Colts, Steelers||Ravens, Chiefs||Colts, Bengals|
|1st Pick in 2014||Jets||Raiders||Raiders||Raiders||Cardinals|
|Comeback POY||Brian Orakpo||Maurice Jones-Drew||Brandon Marshall||Robert Griffin III||Brian Orakpo|
|Coach of Year||Marvin Lewis||John Harbaugh||Jim Harbaugh||Marc Trestman||Chuck Pagano|
|Offensive ROY||Tavon Austin||Kenbrell Thompkins||Eddie Lacy||Eddie Lacy||Tavon Austin|
|Defensive ROY||Kenny Vacaro||Arthur Brown||Tyrann Mathieu||Ziggy Ansah||Alec Ogletree|
|Offensive POY||Jamaal Charles||Adrian Peterson||Adrian Peterson||Drew Brees||Peyton Manning|
|Defensive POY||Luke Kuechly||J.J. Watt||Luke Kuechly||Geno Atkins||Patrick WIllis|
|MVP||Robert Griffin III||Tom Brady||Peyton Manning||Peyton Manning||Peyton Manning|
|Redskins Off. POY||Alfred Morris||Robert Griffin III||Alfred Morris||Pierre Garcon||Pierre Garcon|
|Redskins Def. POY||Brian Orakpo||Ryan Kerrigan||Brian Orakpo||Ryan Kerrigan||Brian Orakpo|
|Redskins MVP||Robert Griffin III||Robert Griffin III||Robert Griffin III||Robert Griffin III||Pierre Garcon|
|Playoff Finish||Super Bowl Win||Divisional Round Loss||Super Bowl Win||NFC Champ. Loss||NFC Champ. Loss|
|Mike Harar||Ken Meringolo||Sean Patterson||Steve Shoup|
|NFC Wild Cards||49ers, Giants||Lions, 49ers||Seahawks, Buccaneers||Seahawks, Saints|
|AFC Wild Cards||Bengals, Texans||Dolphins, Texans||Chiefs, Colts||Texans, Ravens|
|1st Pick in 2014||Jets||Raiders||Chargers||Raiders|
|Comeback POY||Robert Griffin III||Darrius Heyward-Bey||Robert Griffin III||Maurice Jones-Drew|
|Coach of Year||Mike Tomlin||Joe Philbin||Marvin Lewis||Chuck Pagano|
|Offensive ROY||Tavon Austin||Eddie Lacy||Tavon Austin||Montee Ball|
|Defensive ROY||Trann Mathieu||Matt Elam||Barkevious Mingo||Jarvis Jones|
|Offensive POY||Peyton Manning||Aaron Rodgers||Calvin Johnson||Adrian Peterson|
|Defensive POY||J.J. Watt||Luke Kuechly||Luke Kuechly||Luke Kuechly|
|MVP||Andrew Luck||Colin Kaepernick||Peyton Manning||Peyton Manning|
|Redskins Off. POY||Robert Griffin III||Robert Griffin III||Pierre Garcon||Alfred Morris|
|Redskins Def. POY||Ryan Kerrigan||Barry Cofield||Brian Orakpo||Brian Orakpo|
|Redskins MVP||Robert Griffin III||Alfred Morris||Robert Griffin III||Robert Griffin III|
|Playoff Finish||Super Bowl Loss||Super Bowl Win||Super Bowl Win||Wild Card Round Loss|
- The Redskins were unanimously picked to win the NFC East. So it is written, so it shall be done. Well, at least I hope so.
- The Redskins were also the most popular pick to win the Super Bowl. Wow. We're certainly not in short supply of Kool-Aid here, but I still think that this says something about how good our chances are this year.
- The Denver Broncos were the only other team picked to win their division by every writer. They were also the most popular pick to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Could this be foreshadowing to a Redskins-Broncos Super Bowl tilt in the Big Apple?
- Other popular picks to win their divisions were the: Packers, Falcons, Patriots and Bengals.
- Keely and Steve went with the most repeat winners from last year. They didn't go out on a limb in many cases, but that strategy tends to pay off more often than you would think.
- Dan had the most unique picks (picks not made by any other writer). So, he'll either look like a genius, or well, something much less flattering.
At the end of the season we'll re-post these predictions so that everyone can see just how right or wrong we really were, at which time you are welcome to shower us in the praise or ridicule that we will have rightfully earned. The post may not go up immediately though, because I think there's a very good chance that I'll be in the midst of a month-long drunken haze in celebration of the Redskin's 4th Super Bowl victory (even though I didn't have the guts to officially predict it). If that happens, then the best case scenario for me is that I come to in a ditch somewhere on the outskirts of D.C. in late February.
In the meantime, let us know what you think of our picks, and please let us hear yours as well.