Here is a look at the Redskins first nine games of the 2012 season, where they went 3-6, with losses to the Rams, Bengals, Falcons, Giants, Steelers and Panthers.
I was not able to break down every passing touchdown or big play the Redskins defense gave up, but some of these clips illustrate the problems the Redskins had in the secondary last season, and also point to key positions that need upgraded in 2013.
Redskins vs Saints:
- 1:35 - Drew Brees to Moore TD. Beats Madieu Williams.
Redskins vs Rams:
Redskins vs Bengals:
- :10 - Sanu to AJ Green TD: Green burns Gomes on the play
- 1:07 - Dalton to Hawkins TD: Hawkins Burns Crawford. No deep safety help on the play.
Redskins vs Bucs:
- :30 - Freeman throws deep to Jackson. Hall is in perfect coverage, put the pass is thrown perfectly. Notice there is NO deep safety help because our center field safety Madieu Williams jumps a short route to the other side.
Redskins vs Falcons:
- :40 - Ryan to Gonzales in the seam. Zone cover 2 is safety responsibility to cover deep seam. Safety late getting on route.
- 1:45 - Julio Jones beats Wilson for TD. Safety(Doughty)late getting over for help.
- 2:40 - Safety(Doughty)misses tackle on Gonzales resulting in big gain.
Redskins vs Vikings:
- :55 - Ponder pass deep left. Pass interference by Josh Wilson in endzone.
Redskins vs Giants:
- 3:10 - Manning 77 yards TD to Cruz. Beats Josh Wilson on the play. Madieu Williams is 12 yards deep at the snap of the ball. What the heck is he even looking at here?
Redskins vs Steelers:
- :55 - Big Ben TD to Miller in back of the endzone. No safety near the TE.
Redskins vs Panthers:
- :35 - Newton to Smith over Josh Wilson for TD(Smith is 5'9").
- 2:00 - Newton to Edwards for big gain. This play was a zone cover 3. Griffin had deep 1/3 to the left, Williams has deep middle, and Wilson has deep 1/3 on the right. Hall as the slot CB has flat, and the LB's have hook/curl. Wilson bites on a dig route, leaving the deep 1/3 wide open.