(2) David Shaw
Current Position: Head Coach- Stanford
- Currently 41 years old. If he were in the NFL today he would be the 4th youngest head coach (Dennis Allen, Mike Tomlin, Mike McCoy).
- Illustrious coaching career for a young coach. Shaw has been coaching in various capacities in the college and pro ranks for 19 years. He spent his first two years (1995, 1996) in Western Washington before moving to the NFL in 1997. After 9 years with the Eagles, Raiders, and Ravens as either QC, QB, or WR coach, Shaw went back to his alma mater Stanford to be their offensive coordinator in 2007. For the last three years, Shaw has been the head coach at Stanford.
- Learned under great coaches before him. Not only did Shaw coach under Brian Billick, Jon Gruden, and Jim Harbaugh, he also played wide receiver for Stanford under Bill Walsh.
- Has an offensive background but emphasizes defense. Shaw is the offensive play-caller in Stanford, yet his defense is worth boasting about. Stanford has ranked 11th and 9th in the nation in points against each of the last two years under his guidance.
- Consistent success in all three years as the head coach of Stanford. He led Stanford to Pac-12 Championships in each of the last two years and was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year in 2011 and 2012. He'll be looking to lead Stanford to their 2nd straight Rose Bowl victory on New Year's Day 2014.
- Conservative offensive play-caller.
- Calm demeanor. A "stay medium" kind of coach.
- Brings structure and a cerebral approach to the game.
- Committed to Stanford and signed a contract extension in 2012.
(15) Tom Clements
Current Position: Offensive Coordinator- Green Bay Packers
- Considered to be one of the best QB coaches in the NFL. Before assuming his current role as offensive coordinator, Clements was the QB coach for Green Bay from 2006-2011. He oversaw the transition Green Bay went through from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. Many attribute part of Rodgers success to Clements' coaching. Could provide Robert Griffin III with direction and guidance.
- Not only did Brett Favre have one of his best years under Clements in 2007 but the Chiefs' Elvis Grbac (2000) and the Steelers' Kordell Stewart (2001) and Tommy Maddox (2002) all reached the Pro Bowl in their respective years.
- In his 7 years in Green Bay thus far, the Packers have ranked in the top 10 in scoring and total offense in 6 of those seasons.
- Comes from a line of elite coaches. Was a QB coach for Lou Holtz (Notre Dame), Mike Ditka (New Orleans Saints), Bill Cowher (Pittsburgh Steelers), and Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers).
- Won a Super Bowl ring as a QB coach for Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV.
- Played 12 years in the CFL as a quarterback and is a member of the CFL Hall of Fame.
- Interviewed for the vacant head coach position in Chicago last year before the Bears decided to go with Marc Trestman.
- At 60 years old he would be the 5th oldest head coach in the NFL.
- Is known as a quiet, "lead by education" type of coach which brings into question his ability to motivate as a head coach.
Feel free to add any additional information/stories about either candidate in the comments section and it may be added to their bio.