After trading back multiple times the Redskins ended up drafting Leonard Hankerson at the 79th overall selection. Many people thought Hankerson was a 2nd round value and had they taken him at 62 overall I think that would have been a good value spot for him. While the Redskins have yet to address their quarterback or offensive line needs, they did get the big receiver they were lacking last season.
- Big receiver, only in the 6'2" range, but he plays bigger than that
- Uses his body to shield the ball (the anti-Malcolm Kelly)
- He has improved his catching ability over his career
- showed 4.4 speed at the scouting combine
- adjusts to the ball well in the air
- Has really cleaned up his route running and runs the whole route tree
- Impressive Senior Bowl week and a very nice Senior Bowl game
- Great value late in the 3rd
- Had issues with drops earlier in his career
- Wasn't the cleanest route runner before this season
- Has always displayed the 4.4 speed he has shown on the track
- Doesn't have exceptional size, despite it being good
- Consistency is a bit of a question
Hankerson in and of himself is a good value pick here. Behind Moss (if he resigns) and Armstrong the Redskins depth chart was scary, and not in a Green Bay Packers 'you can't cover us' sort of way. If Moss does resign he can move to the slot, with Hankerson and Armstrong on the outside. While I don't think Hankerson is as good as say Julio Jones or Jonathan Baldwin, I don't think he is too far off either. He should immediately help Washington's depleted receiving corps and with all the extra picks Washington got great value.
To recap Washington now has the following picks:
4th: 127th (from Bears) 5th: 144 (previous pick, our original pick) 5th: 146 (from Miami) 5th: 152 (from Indy) 5th: 155 (previous from Saints) 6th: 177 (previous, our original pick) 7th: 213 (previous, original pick) 7th: 217 (from Miami) 7th: 224 (previous, from Indy) 7th: 253 (previous, compensatory)
Not too shabby!
Steve Shoup has been a Redskins fan his entire life and dreams of the day they get back to the glory days of his youth. In addition to his regular piece on Hogs Haven, you can find his daily writings at Fanspeak.com. And if you can't make it out to the Hogs Haven party, check out my NFL Draft LIVE Chat, covering every pick during the entire draft! Hope to see you there!