QB Josh Portis, California University of Pa (Division II)
Background: Former top recruit to Florida, transferred after one season to MD. After sitting out a year, some off field issues looked to wreck his Maryland chances so he headed to Division II California. He is the cousin of former Skins running back Clinton Portis.
Measureables: 6'2" and 7/8 , 211 lbs., 4.59 40 yard dash
- Strong arm, capable of throwing across his body or making deep throws
- Mobile, capable of buying time with his legs and being a serious threat to run the ball
- Despite mobility very comfortable in the pocket, unless forced or designed, Portis would typically stay in the pocket
- Good size, at nearly 6'3" Portis has the height of a typical starting quarterback
- Raw talent, Portis has a ton of upside
- While he is developing he could offer value as a Wildcat/specialty quarterback
- Has enough athletic ability to transition to another position, Portis could likely be a receiver as well and at least one team has asked him to work out at both positions
- Faced secondary competition at California University (Pa), was never really challenged
- Off the field incidents have plagued him, from cheating on a test to using a stolen credit card, Portis hasn't been the 'Pillar of the Community'
- Doesn't display the greatest accuracy, he will sail a lot of throws, especially sideline patterns
- His decision making appears to be suspect at times
- Overall he is a major project, that might never end up reaching his potential