Free Agency is upon us! First you heard Clements then it was Fletcher or else maybe Dre Bly unless or maybe even if Fred Smoot returns, er oh wait it was Clinton Portis to the Giants for Michael Strahan? What the duece is going on here!
Now it is Jonathan Vilma (note to fans: it will be like this until Free Agency is over). Per the Times:
- He's significantly younger (turns 25 in April).
- Cheaper maybe kind of sort of, costs around 2.5M currently to Fletcher's 5.9M. This comes with a caveat below.
- Might not actually be cheaper. A young Vilma is on contract through 2008 but will eventually expect Big Boy payment -- like the kind of contract that Fletcher is expiring from.
- Requires a trade, which means personnel because we don't actually have draft picks.
- At 230 pounds Vilma is precisely the kind of small Mike LB we're currently trying to replace.
- Disappointing 2006, though possibly the cause of the Jets 3-4 defensive scheme.