Update [2007-2-26 15:31:48 by TexSkins]: Thanks to sincethebeginning and BlueStarDude, I've altered some of these picks.
SP's first attempt at a mock draft was reasonable in places, and reaching in others. He got the #1 overall pick right (JaMarcus Russell to OAK) which is the hardest part.
Here's my rundown on the first 32 picks. (Remember, no trades here... Though I'd like to see the Skins trade down and get some more picks, that's not an option in this exercise.) Enjoy the chaos that is the NFL Draft.
- Oakland - QB JaMarcus Russell, LSU
- Detroit - LT Joe Thomas, WIS
- Cleveland - RB Adrian Peterson, OU (Droughns just isn't getting it done for Crennel. I think QB Quinn might get some thought here as well.)
- Tampa Bay - WR Calvin Johnson, GT (A steal at #4)
- Arizona - DT Alan Branch, MICH (They need help on defense, and this guy makes everyone on that front 7 better. I could see a pass rushing DE here, but I think Branch is too good to pass up.)
- Your Washington Redskins - DE Jamaal Anderson, ARK (DE Gaines Adams also fit here, but I think the pick is Anderson.)
- Minnesota - WR Ted Ginn, OSU
- Houston - OT Levi Brown, PSU (If Peterson falls, they take him. If Quinn falls, they think about it.)
- Miami - QB Brady Quinn, ND (If he falls past here, he falls for a while, a la Aaron Rogers in Green Bay.)
- Atlanta - DB Reggie Nelson, FLA (I have trouble with this one. I think Petrino would like to take his former player DT Okoye, but the team needs secondary help. If they address either in the FA market, I say they draft the other.)
- San Francisco - DT Amobi Okoye, LOU (They have the most money to spend in FA, so whatever need is not addressed there will be drafted in round 1. I think they can wait for Okoye to develop into a dominant force.)
- Buffalo - CB Leon Hall (Clements gone, Hall in.)
- St. Louis - DE Gaines Adams (Great value at #13.)
- Carolina - LB Laurence Timmons, FSU (They need help all over, but their LB corps were depleated last year.
- Pittsburgh - CB Darrell Revis, PIT (Their corners got beat too often, so this just fits.)
- Green Bay - RB Marshawn Lynch, CAL
- Jacksonville - DE Jarvis Moss, FLA (If it's me, I take Carriker from NEB but I think that Moss is too talented for JAX to pass on.)
- Cincinnati - DB LaRon Landry, LSU (Landry has the versitility to allow the Bengals to do a few things, including move S Williams to CB in the absence of FA James.)
- Tennessee - WR Dwayne Jarrett, USC
- N.Y. Giants - CB Aaron Ross, UT (I'm totally confused here. Maybe LB? Maybe a different DB? Maybe a RB? I'm lost.)
- Denver - CB Dameyion Hughes, CAL (Losing Darrent Williams hurts.)
- Dallas - OT/OG Justin Blalock, UT (I'm tempted to say a DB, but if the board falls the way it has in this mock draft, the value isn't there.)
- Kansas City - WR Dwayne Bowe, LSU
- New England - WR Sidney Rice, USC
- N.Y. Jets - TE Greg Olsen, MIA
- Philadelphia - LB Paul Posluszny, PSU (I think this is a steal. I really like the way this guy plays.)
- New Orleans - DB Chris Houston, ARK (Fred Thomas got beat again and gain last year. Definate draft-for-need here.)
- New England - OLB/DE Anthony Spencer, PUR
- Baltimore - OT/OG Aaron Sears, TEN
- San Diego - S Michael Griffin, UT (Another steal in my mind. They could look at WR if they feel Meachem is worth the pick.)
- Chicago - TE Zach Miller, ASU (I think they go elsewhere, but most of the pros say TE here.)
- Indianapolis - LB Jon Beason, MIA (Already knows Dungy's scheme.)
And remember, the Combine is all about the defensive line on Monday, so more should be known about the player your Washington Redskins might take if unable to trade down from number 6.