Circa around this time last year, Redskins fans couldn't have been more upbeat about their inevitable SuperBowl run in 2006. I mean, our top 10 defense had actually improved with the blockbuster signing of Adam Archuleta and Andre Carter, not to mention our offense finally coming around with the Coaching addition of Al Saunders (a proven winner!) and WRs Brandon Lloyd y Antwaan Randle-El. Brunell was Superbowl or bust. What the hell could go wrong???
Everything did, I just didn't see it coming. No point boring you -- or cornering you into depressed alcoholism -- with the details. Despite or perhaps because of (Curse you Football Gods!!!) our inflated high hopes, combined with vindication/reinforcement from a media in love with our Coaching Staff, the team fell precipitously from grace.
But it wasn't simply shameless homers who couldn't see it coming. As Tuesday Morning Quarterback pointed out, virtually everyone is wrong pre-season. Here are the Redskins highlights:
We even get a spot on the Worst Prediction of the Year:
Finally TMQ's obligatory shot at Dan Snyder:
- Fry cooks, busboys to be fired weekly.
- Successful menu items such as cheeseburgers to be dropped; Snyder personally will choose recipe for new seaweed burger.
- Instead of singing "That'll Be the Day" and "It's My Party," waiters and waitresses will sing "In A Gadda Da Vida."
- New corporate P.R. strategy will focus on denouncing media and suing anyone who mentions Johnny Rockets in print.
- Heinz ketchup to be replaced with Washington Redskins branded tomato-like product.