The Mason/Brennan award has been given out unofficially by the fans for years to each preseason's most hyped players, but now we're going to make it official, and bring it to a vote. This week's vote will cover the hype following the Week 1 preseason game against the Tennessee Titans. Place your vote for who you feel has been the most hyped player up to this point, whether the hype is deserved or not. After each preseason game a new vote will be taken to see how the hype changes.
1. Player must have been drafted late or signed by the Redskins as an undrafted free agent. Players that have only been on other teams practice squads that are signed by the team are also eligible.
2. A player that has been on the team for several years is still eligible if most of that time has been spent on the practice squad, inactive, or with very limited productivity/time
3. The Pat White Rule: High draft picks(busts/out of the league) from other teams who have never completed an NFL pass, but can run the read option/wildcat are now eligible.
The first official Mason/Brennan Award winner was crowned last week. Bacarri Rambo has captured the hearts and minds of Redskins Nation as the next great Safety to wear Burgundy and Gold.
I've only removed two players this week, Jawan Jamison and Marvin Burdette, due to lack of playing time in the preseason game. I've also added Pat White and Lance Lewis after their domination of the Titans 3rd stingers. As usual vote for the person you feel has the most hype for this week, and any new nominees are welcome in the comments.
1. Pat White, QB - Former 2nd round draft pick who has been out of the league for a few years. Came to the team as a beacon of hope to the Anti-Sexy crowd. 5/8 for 31 yards and a 9 yard TD run against the Titans in Week 1 of the preseason. The hype is going to be overwhelming by Week 2. Magician.
2. Lance Lewis, WR - UDFA(2012) Lewis reportedly looked good in camp last season, but an injury derailed his year. Now he is back healthy and he played an aggressive game last night. If the ball wasn't popped loose at the goal line he would have added a TD to his hype.
1. Skye Dawson, WR - UDFA A good training camp did not translate into a good preseason game. The #16 apparently causes returners to move sideways and backwards. I was unable to see if it also caused him to punch the ground because he almost broke one
2. Chase Minnifield, CB - UDFA(2012) Already has a place reserved in the Redskins Ring of Fame. Aggressive camp has people clamoring to cut veterans, other positions, anything to keep him on the team. If not he will be immediately signed and enshrined elsewhere. Played a solid game against the Titans and will continue to push for a spot this offseason.
3. Aldrick Robinson, WR - 6th round draft pick(2011). Aldrick has the RGIII hype from training camp, and I was going to remove him from contention due to his playing time last year. But the drop that hit him right between the number last night is going to keep him around one more week. He did have two catches last night, and is still getting hyped as a breakout player canddidate.
4. Brandon Jenkins, OLB - 5th round draft pick who was impressing in training camp reports and now has impressed in a game. Using Jenkins and Orakpo as OLB with Kerrigan crashing in as a DE has fans dreaming of huge sacks.
5. Chris Thompson, RB - 5th round draft pick who has been compared to Darren Sproles by many hopeful people, and he has a really nice Youtube highlight video. The ice tub is his best friend, and we all know how that turns out.
6. Bacarri Rambo, FS - 6th round draft pick who is being penciled in as the starting FS week 1, and the 2nd highest selling jersey on the team by Week 2. Got his ankles broken by Chris Johnson last night, but it's Chris Johnson.
7. Tom Compton, OT - 6th round draft pick(2012) Some of the RT hype has died down. But a better than expected showing last night keeps him here.
8. Xavier Nixon, OT - UDFA who was the crown jewel of the 2013 UDFA Redskins class. Hyped as another possible dark horse to win the RT job. The Polumbus Effect is still very real.