The third preseason game against the Buffalo Bills is in the books, and the Redskins are 3-0 on the road to perfection. The depth of talent in the Mason/Brennan nomination pool obviously has played a big part in deciding the outcomes of these games. Previous winners Bacarri Rambo, Pat White, and Brandon Jenkins have been responsible for forced fumbles, touchdowns, and QB sacks that have helped the team win. The 3rd game is important because the first round of cuts follows a few days later. Will any of our previous nominees meet the ax this week, and how many will actually make the final 53 man roster?
The Mason/Brennan award has been given out unofficially by the fans for years to each preseason's most hyped players, but now we're going to make it official, and bring it to a vote. This week's vote will cover the hype following the Week 3 preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. Place your vote for who you feel has been the most hyped player up to this point, whether the hype is deserved or not. After each preseason game a new vote will be taken to see how the hype changes.
1. Player must have been drafted late or signed by the Redskins as an undrafted free agent. Players that have only been on other teams practice squads that are signed by the team are also eligible.
2. A player that has been on the team for several years is still eligible if most of that time has been spent on the practice squad, inactive, or with very limited productivity/time
3. The Pat White Rule: High draft picks(busts/out of the league) from other teams who have never completed an NFL pass, but can run the read option/wildcat are now eligible.
The third official Mason/Brennan Award winner was crowned. Brandon Jenkins, and the Nasty Nickel defense, have finally reached the level of hype needed to win this prestigious award. BJenks recorded a sack in this game, and accidentally took Kevin Kolb out of the game with an errant knee to the back of the head.
Just as they were added to the list last week, Jawan Jamison and Will Compton, are being pulled back to obscurity. Jamison received no carries and Will Compton recorded tackle with 3 assists. Not exactly hype worthy, and these two seem to be practice squad hopefuls or worse right now. I've also taken Xavier Nixon off the board. He has not made any noise at camp or in games, and received a goose egg in the voting last week. Another potential practice squad or worse player. As usual vote for the person you feel has the most hype for this week, and any new nominees are welcome in the comments.
1. Skye Dawson, WR - UDFA(2013) Skye has turned from a possible diamond in the rough receiver/returner who caught everything against limited defense to Brandon Banks 1.6 in 2 weeks. I almost removed him from the nominations, but with Richard Crawford going to IR, and the possibility that he gets one last chance on returns against the Bucs, he stays.
2. Chase Minnifield, CB - UDFA(2012) Already has a place reserved in the Redskins Ring of Fame. Continues to have a solid offseason with his aggressive play. Chase has finally matched some of the hype he's received for the last 2 years. With Richard Crawford going to IR, he is pretty much a lock to make the team, which people(re: Jeff Bernard) have been screaming all offseason.
3. Aldrick Robinson, WR - 6th round draft pick(2011). Aldrick got the RGIII hype bump from training camp. He claims to be the fastest player on the team and that could be true. Another solid outing against the Bills where he caught the ball well. Also a Mark Tyler Future Superstar? article has focused the hype on the promising young WR.
4. Brandon Jenkins, OLB - 5th round draft pick(2013) who was impressing in training camp reports and now has impressed in every preseason game. Using Jenkins and Orakpo as OLB with Kerrigan crashing in as a DE has fans dreaming of huge sacks. The Nasty Nickel package will make Jenkins a huge fan favorite.
5. Chris Thompson, RB - 5th round draft pick(2013) Continues to have mixed performances and the second fumble in two weeks is an issue. Made up some ground on the hype train with his work in the return game. He was declared the top standout by CSNWashington's Tarik El-Bashir for some of his big gains on the ground and a punt return he caught on the run.
6. Bacarri Rambo, FS - 6th round draft pick(2013) who is being penciled in as the starting FS week 1, and the 2nd highest selling jersey on the team by Week 2. Continues to do enough to both excite and worry the fanbase. Can he do enough to keep Reed Doughty out of the starting lineup? The Hogs Haven comment section will be an unsafe place if he can't.
7. Tom Compton, OT - 6th round draft pick(2012) Some of the RT hype has died down, but there are still plenty of people who would prefer him to the usher, Tyler Polumbus. The Polumbus Effect gets worse by the week.
8. Pat White, QB - Former 2nd round draft pick who has been out of the league for a few years. Came to the team as a beacon of hope to the Anti-Sexy crowd. Alternated time with the Sex Cannon against the Bills, and was able to run one in for a TD. Continues to get hype from fans and media as a player who will be picked up if he doesn't make it on the Redskins roster. Did I mention last week that there have been Pat White Redskins jerseys sightings?
9. Lance Lewis, WR - UDFA(2012) Lewis reportedly looked good in camp last season, but an injury derailed his year. Lewis didn't record a catch against the Bills, but is expected to see extended playing time against the Bucs. Dezmon Briscoe's possible replacement as the 6th receiver, he just needs to prove the team needs a 6th WR. Donte Stallworth was cut this morning, so it's a 2 man race for a job that might not even exist.