The Redskins met the Bears at FedEx Field on a beautiful fall afternoon in the nations capital.
The Redskins knocked quarterback Jay Cutler out of the game 10 minutes into the second quarter, and overcame more special teams miscues to beat the Bears 45-41 in a wildly entertaining game.
Redskins tight end/wide receiver Jordan Reed had a monster game, and Robert Griffin III looks to be back to last seasons form, as the two lead the Redskins to a much needed home win.
Entering the game, the Redskins had a 65-35 pass/run ratio. They ran the ball 43 times, and attempted 29 passes in today's victory.
Redskins Key Stats:
- 499 Total yards of offense
- 28 first downs
- 5 Penalties
Morris - 19 rushes, 95 yards
Griffin - 11 rushes, 84 yards
Helu - 11 rushes, 41 yards, 3 TDs
Griffin - 18-29 298 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT
Reed - 9 receptions, 134 yards, 1 TD
- Griffin looked like the RG3 of last year when he broke off a 23 yard run to the right of the formation off a read-option fake. He showed the speed and explosiveness we didn't see in the first quarter of the season.
- There was some mis-communication in the backfield on a play-action fake, but Griffin still found Jordan Reed for a big gain(38 yards). The next play, a fumble occurred on the exchange between Morris and Griffin. Chester recovered, but it resulted in a 17 yards loss. Reed made another nice catch on the drive for a gain of 15, but the Redskins had to settle for a field goal(38 yards) by Forbath.
- DeAngelo made two plays on third down on back-to-back Bears drives to prevent a first down. He had a chance for an interception on each pass.
- London Fletcher showed good coverage on a deep pass intended for tight end Martellus Bennett.
- RG3 was picked off by Bears great Charles Tillman. Griffin never saw Tillman who under-cut the route.
- Matt Forte scored on a short run where he hurdled a Redskins defender to get into the end zone.
- Jordan Reed made another nice grab for a first down. He took a good shot from Lance Briggs on the play, but returned to the game a few plays later.
- Griffin broke another long run(15 yards) off of a read-option fake.
- Griffin hit Garcon on a beautiful pass between the corner and the safety for a gain of 20.
- Roy Helu showed his great burst breaking off a 14 yard touchdown run. Game tied 10-10.
- Reed Doughty made a great break on a Jay Cutler pass and knocked the ball free of the receiver(Jeffery)and Brian Orakpo grabbed the ball out of the air, and returned the interception for a 29 yard touchdown. It was the first interception and touchdown of his career.
- DeAngelo Hall again showed good coverage against Brandon Marshall forcing another three and out.
- Chris Baker recorded his first career sack when he caught Jay Cutler in the backfield. Cutler was injured on the play.
- Morris took a carry around left end for a gain of 18. Trent Williams make a great block on the run.
- Devin Hester returned a Sav Rocca punt for an 81 yard touchdown - the Redskins special teams woes continue. The Bears tied the game at 17-17.
- Jordan Reed came up huge again with another third down conversion.
- Garcon had a nice catch-and-run for a big first down.
- Robert Griffin had a nice play-action bootleg pass to Hankerson for a gain of 27 yards to the Bears four yard line.
- Reed hauls in a beautiful fade pass from Griffin for a four yard touchdown.
- Brian Orakpo called for roughing the passer on a third down passing attempt. Gives Bears a first down. Not a good call by the refs here, as it was a clean hit. Result was a 15 yard penalty.
- Later in the same drive, Orakpo made a great tackle for loss on a run play.
- Gould missed field goal.
- Forte breaks off 50 yard touchdown run. London Fletcher is no where to be found on the cut-back leading to an easy run for Forte.
- Griffin hits Aldrick Robinson for a beautiful 31 yard gain off a play-action fake.
- Helu gets three straight carries inside the red zone. His third carry results in a three yard touchdown(his 2nd on the day), to give the Redskins a 31-24 lead.
- Great special teams tackle by Gumbs on a kick return.
- Personal foul penalty called on Merriweather for hit on deep pass to Jeffery. 15 yards added to end of a big gain.
- Matt Forte goes up the middle for a six yards touchdown, his third on the day.
- Great run by Morris where he kept the legs churning and fought for extra yards.
- Griffin un-leashes a bomb which is caught by Aldrick Robinson for a 45 yard touchdown. Redskins lead 38-31.
- Gould hits a 49 yard field goal to cut the score to 38-34.
- Bears recovered an on-side kick, but an offsides penalty negated the play.
- Kerrigan makes a great play on a flare pass to Forte. The result is a loss of five yards.
- An illegal formation call against the Bears negates a touchdown pass, but a personal foul by Merriweather(his 2nd of the game)gives the Bears a first down at the Redskins seven. Martellus Bennett ends up beating London Fletcher in the back of the end zone for an easy touchdown.
- Jordan Reed comes up big yet again as he and Griffin connect for a 26 yard gain late in the fourth quarter.
- Garcon makes a great sideline grab to keep the drive alive.
- Jordan Reed makes another key catch to get the Redskins inside the Bears five yard line.
- Roy Helu runs for a three yard touchdown(his third of the game)to give the Redskins a 45-41 lead.
- Kerrigan and Cofield combine on a sack of McCown to end the game.