Let's face it, find me a fan base that doesn't talk enthusiastically about a core of young players. Every team does, and the Redskins quite frankly probably less than most. But here is my Tim Couch recipe for disaster:
Look, I am going to leave aside my general apprehensions about late draft risers like RG3, I hope he is awesome. However is it possible that he will have one or even two hands tied behind his back?
1) Start with a team with 11 wins in two seasons;
2) Take away 3 $6 million per year top tier starters for this year and next courtesy of Capgate;
3) After acquiring RG3, notice that you now have from a draft 'budget' standpoint, roughly 15% of remaining budget remaining in 2012, and in 2013 and 2014 you have about one third of the draft budget of the typical team;
4) throw in a coach who is desperate to win now so that his kid can keep his job, and did I mention that the last 3 QBs this coach had hand-selected all sucked;
5) Add a pinch of a short fuse owner who has had to remove 14,000 ATMs from his stadium, and a fan base two decades plus removed from success.
What do you get? Tim Couch I am afraid- a player that like RG3 needed time and a good environment to develop. Sadly, Timmy C. didn't get it, and I see RG3 headed to a similar outcome. Talk me down from the ledge, koolaid drinkers.