Buster Skrine, CB, UT-Chattanooga:
Measurables: 5’10", 186 lbs, 4.29 40 time
- Top performer in the 40, 3-cone, 20 yard shuttle, and 60 yard shuttle at the Combine
- Speed, speed, and speed: WRs are not going to out run this guy.
- Two time First Team All-Southern Conference
- Can return kicks
- Good in zone coverage and jumping underneath routes.
- VERY quick feet.
- Great guy off the field, good student, great family, and coaches love his leadership.
- Has a cool name. (Pronounced Screen)
- Pretty average ball skills (5 career INTs)
- Has trouble with bigger receivers, shedding blocks and tackling.
- Bites on play action and is overaggressive at times.
- Played at a smaller FCS school.
- Has trouble with jump balls.
Skrine is shooting up draft boards (unfortunately for us) after his performance at the Combine. He will most likely go in the mid to late 3rd round or early in the 4th. Hopefully we can re-acquire some picks in these rounds.
Why He Makes Sense For The Redskins:
Depth in the secondary is always a positive. Skrine would be an interesting fit at the nickel; also we may be in a situation where we need to replace Carlos Rogers. I also like the fact that he can also return kicks, a key need for the Redskins on Special Teams right now.