OK, that headline is a little harsh, but really, the Super Bowl surely lived up to the hype. Some initial thoughts and comical moments from the game:
- Randle El going bananas after completing a first down near mid-field...oh yea, Steelers were down 11 points at this juncture. I imagine even LaRon Landry was laughing at that. Hines Ward scored a TD a few plays later - no celebration.
- Oh Suisham. That was one hell of a botch. I didn't follow the ball all the way but my guess is it hit a beer vendor in the back of the head. One of his XPs barely squeaked through, too.
- So, THAT's how a 3-4 defense is suppose to be run. All year long we heard the main benefit of the 3-4 being "QBs don't know where the pass rush is coming from." They only registered 1 sack but their defense truly forced those turnovers - and Packers converted all 3 of them to 21 points.
- On Charles Woodson's 30 plays, he was in the backfield for 7 of them.
- The Packers had 15 guys on IR this season, including their starting RB, TE, Tackle, and LB...and they lost Woodson at halftime and still won the Super Bowl. Redskins need a QB.
- I hate it, but I have to agree with Ken. The Packers are built to be a dynasty, especially considering they are currently the 2nd youngest team in the NFL.
- Why in the hell did Dick LeBeau change the way he uses Troy Polamalu? The Defensive Player of the Year lined up within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage on only three of the Packers' 55 offensive snaps and didn't record a tackle until the fourth quarter. Rodgers is way too accurate not to bring pressure. James Harrison was a ghost pretty much the whole game.
- The Pittsburgh Post Gazette Sports page is fantastic today. Steelers lose and a picture of Ovie landing a punch to Cookie's face. All I have to cheer for is other teams' misery, and I'm OK with that for today.