In the past 2 months, I have voiced my opinion on positions we should address in the draft, and prospects I would like to see as a Redskin with our 1st and 2nd round picks.
I have been all over the board. I have advocated QB's such as Locker, Mallett and Newton. I've said wait for Landry Jones next year(if he were to enter). Recently I said I'm moving to the Offensive Line/Defensive Line side of the ball. I then wrote a post saying why I believe we can stay away from a few positions in the first round; among them were DE and OLB.
Sound a little confusing?
It was done so with a purpose. That purpose was to open peoples minds to different ideas.
I actually have narrowed down my desires in the 1st two rounds to a few players, at a few different positions. The players I covet the most may surprise some.
So without further adu:
1) Cam Newton - ever since the middle of the college football season, I have been a fan of Cam Newton. I saw what he was able to do in high school, and I was waiting for that talent to transulate to the college game. Well it certainly has. I feel there is no better Q-Back to run out offense than Cam. There is not a thing he can't do on a football field. Off-field issues are a concern to me, but I am willing to give him a chance based of his football ability.
2a) Marcel Dareus - I don't think he'll last until 10, but if Newton is gone, and Dareus is there, he's my pick. He's already played in the 3-4, and he will be a nightmare at DE, and even the occasional NT.
2b) Robert Quinn - Another guy I can't see being there at 10, but if he is, and Cam isn't, it's a no-brainer.
3) Akeem Ayers - I absolutely love this kid as a 3-4 OLB. He is a freakish athlete, who paired with Rak, will cause headaches for opposing O-Coordinators. He will be a riser at the combine once scouts see his abilities. Physically freak!
1) Phil Taylor - I can only pray he drops to the early 2nd, but I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that will happen. Only time will tell. I still list him here, as he is a certain want of mine.
2) Jake Locker - Locker is the only other QB in this class I'd consider taking outside of Newton. No way would I ever pull the trigger on him at #10, but if we miss on Cam, and Locker were to slide to the 2nd, I would definitly take him.
3) Jon Baldwin - I've never hidden my desire for a big-play WR, and Baldwin is just that. He had a poor junior year, but chalk that up to his surrounding cast(ie. the terrible play of his QB). He is a nightmare in the open field, and a mismatch in the red zone. His stock will elevate after the combine.
4) Allen Bailey - I love the size and athletic ability of this kid. I know he is raw, but the potential is there. Add 10 lbs to his frame, and plug him in at DE.
5) Jeremy Beal - I love the size, speed and athleticism that Beal possesses. If Ayers isn't selected in the 1st, Beal would certainly be an option in the 2nd.
You'll notice that I have not included any O-Linemen in my wish list. This was done for a reason. Shanahan is many things, and an Idiot is not one of them. He traded for Brown last year, and we saw two different players throughout the season. The first was a player who was coming off injuries, and was adjusting to playing RT. The second, was a player who showed when healthy, he can be a damn good OT. I don't believe we wasted a draft pick(unlike McNabb), on a one year rental. I expect the Skins to re-sign him for the next few years.
At C and G, I believe(and have felt this way for a while now), that we have some players on this roster who can play at a pretty high level. Shanny saw something he liked in Licht, and for good reason. He improved as the season went on, and I expect him to be a started at either C or G in 2011. Cook and Capers need to be given a look to see if they are ready. I believe the staff already has a good feeling on both, and I view that to be positive.
Many of the linemen we have are better than a rookie would be right now. Now if these players were old, I would say go get younger in the draft, as the older players are not likely to get much better, but we have a lot of youth on our line, and we need to cultivate that youth. The youth will only get better. So in fairness, I say sign a good FA G, replace Rabach at C(either with a FA, of an existing player like Licht or Cook), and develop what we have already.