With a reported 400+ free agents expected to hit the market on March 1st, 2011, I took a detailed look at some of the likely candidates for the Redskins to bring in. Below is a table of all the teams that run full zone-blocking schemes and their free agents. After the jump, I single out the players that have worked with Kyle Shanahan, Mike Shanahan, and Bruce Allen in the past and surely will be on the Redskins wish list for the right price.
Note: We'll be doing this for every position so check back often and/or follow @HogsHaven.
|2011 Free Agent Zone-Blocking Offensive Linemen|
Khalif Barnes (T)
Langston Walker (T)
Mario Henderson (T)
|Houston||Rashad Butler||Kasey Studdard|
Mansfield Wrotto (BUF)
|Tampa Bay||Davin Joseph||Chris Spencer|
Player-by-player assessment after the jump...
- Mike Pollak - 25 years old - 2nd round pick. He plays Right Guard, but he was a First-Team All-Pac 10 Center at Arizona State.
- Kyle DeVan - Kyle was first signed as an undrafted free agent by the Redskins in May of 2008 and was waived 2 months later. He bounced around practice squads and the Arena League before the Colts picked him up in 2009. He started 9 games for the Colts last year and 15 this year.
Texans......(Kyle Shanahan has worked with both)
- Kasey Studdard - In 2009, Kasey replaced the injured Chester Pitts, and went on to start all 14 remaining games.
- Rashad Butler (Tackle) is more of a backup role. He was active for all 16 games the last two years but only started in four of them.
- Chris Spencer (Center/Guard) - 1st round pick for SEA in 2005 out of Ole Miss. 6'3, 309 lbs and has played at Guard though he is the starting Center now.
- Mansfield Wrotto was signed to the Bills active roster this year, but he was at Seattle the previous three years.
- Davin Joseph.......
There is a lot of reasons to believe why the Redskins will pursue Davin. He is a Pro-Bowl Guard that was drafted while Bruce Allen was still in Tampa. He fractured his foot this past November, which put him on IR, but there is a lot to like about Davin. The former first round pick is a fantastic run and pass blocker, which landed him a 2008 Pro-Bowl nod. Injuries do not deter Bruce Allen as we saw with Josh Bidwell. Expect Tampa to put up a big fight.
What else is of note? Davin attended Oklahoma, which of course both Trent Williams and Jammal Brown (who are very close now) both attended.
- Ryan Harris (Right Tackle) - 6'5 300 lbs.
Ryan was a 3rd round draft pick for Mike Shanahan in 2007 out of Notre Dame. He's only played a full 16 games once in his four years, but that's never stopped Shanahan from acquiring (see Jammal Brown).
I inquired about Carl Nicks with the SBN Saints blog and he said there's no way they're letting Nicks get away.
The 49ers don't have any OL free agents. The Niners have free agents David Baas (Guard/Center) and Tony Wragge (Guard), which would pertain to the Redskins OL Coach, Chris Foerster, who coached in San Fran from 2008-2009.