I keep seeing Mike Holmgren's name thrown about, and I wouldn't mind Holmgren coming in here and trying to right this ship. However, the hiring of Bruce Allen means the next HC will not also play the part of GM, and to me, that's the red flag that it won't be Holmgren.
That having been said, I think it makes too much sense that it's Shanahan coming in. Look at it:
* He's originally from the area.
* He has a background in the WCO, although his scheme is more run-heavy than most variations -- much like our hybrid WCO-Gibbs offense.
* We have the wrong linemen for Shanahan's offense -- we've got big beefy guys, "Hogs", for the power run game, while Shanny prefers smaller, athletic OLs for zone blocking schemes. But the fact that we're going to need to rebuild our line anyway means Shanahan can hand pick the guys he wants blocking up front.
* There were rumors that Danny tried to hire Shanahan during midseason, but Shanahan told him that a coaching change midseason rarely improves the team.
* What really brought down Shanahan's Bronco teams over the past few years was the defense. We've already got a stout D, now we need an offense to match. It's like bringing Gruden in to Tampa.
All this having been said, I wouldn't be shocked, either, if it WERE Holmgren. What do you think?