Okay, so I'm playing it up a little. Well, a lot of a little. Anyway, it's high time I threw my hat in the proverbial mock draft ring. I've been meaning to do this mock for a while... but more imprtant things always seemed to come up. Like drinking. And sleeping. And, well, everything that came up. Mostly, a whole lotta nothing.
Anyway, without further ado... I bring you the 2008 Hogs Haven Mock Draft. I should get a sponser... it always makes names seem more official. Anyways, the normal rules apply. I'm assuming no trades, though I fully expect a trade or seven on Saturday.
1. Miami - OT Jake Long, MICH - Everyone deserves a freebee in this thing.
2. St. Louis - DE Chris Long, UVA - Alongside last year's first rounder Adam Carriker and St. Louis has a defensive line that just won't quit.
3. Atlanta - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU - Matt Ryan would make sense... but they need so much help everywhere. Best player theory says Dorsey.
4. Oakland - RB Darren McFadden, ARK - Al Davis passed on last year's super-athlete Calvin Johnson, so do you really think he'll do it two years ina row? I don't.
5. Kansas City - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC - The Jared Allen trade gives them some options here... but they have to go one of the two lines. I say Ellis and pray for Williams, Clady or Albert to fall to #17.
6. New York Jets - DE/OLB Vernon Gholston, OSU - Look who fell into their laps. Nice fit, easy pick for ManGenius.
7. New England
Cheaters Patriots - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy - I like Cromartie better, but... Goodbye Samuel, hello McKelvin.
8. Baltimore Ravens - QB Matt Ryan, BC - He should fall here. If not, they'll be climbing to get him. Man, do they need a QB.
9. Cincinnati Bengals - OLB Keith Rivers, USC - They need defensive help. He plays defense. Good fit for me.
10. New Orleans Saints - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tenn St. - They need CBs like nobody's business. I keep forgetting they got LB Vilma, otherwise Tenn LB Mayo would make a lot of sense here.
11. Buffalo Bills - WR Devin Thomas, MSU - They need weapons and so they almost have to gamble on Thomas here. Kelly hurt himself, Sweed is hurt and none of the other WRs are worth taking here. DeSean Jackson? Maybe... I say gamble on Thomas.
12. Denver Broncos - DE Derrick Harvey, FLA - They have needs... but none really worth picking outside Harvey. I feel like I'm missing an obvious pick here. Harvey fits too easily for a #12 pick.
13. Carolina Panthers - RB Rashard Mendenhall, ILL - They need help all over the offense, outside of Steve Smith. Instant upgrade to the offense right here. Do they dare take a QB? Kidding... or am I?
14. Chicago Bears - OT Ryan Clady, BSU - They need help up front. Yes, they need another RB but I'm guessing they're too stubborn to draft one in the first round so soon after Benson. I bet they try to find a QB in the second round.
15. Detroit Lions - OT Chris Williams, VAND - They are switching from a pass-happy offense to a run first one. The transition needs to happen up front.
16. Arizona Cardinals - CB Mike Jenkins, USF - Rolle has been less than spectacular. They need help and he's the best on the board. I like this pick almost enough to call it a lock for Saturady... but not that much.
17. Kansas City Chiefs - DE Philip Merling, CLEM - Instant Allen replacement. Not in terms of production, but in terms of a body to put on the field. They'll be one of the top two most active traders (with Miami) over the weekend.
18. Houston Texans - Jonathan Stewart, ORE - This pick makes too much sense. The 1-2 of Stewart and Ahman Green should make the Texans a team to watch. Playoffs? You heard it here first.
19. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Jeff Otah, PIT - I almost said WR Jackson. I have no idea what they're thinking. They'll probably trade out of this spot. I dunno. Otah, the hometownness, the size, everything tells me Philly. So, they'll probably go elsewhere.
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - QB... just kidding. WR DeSean Jackson, CAL - Really is the top WR left... by default. Kelly and Sweed are in a second round-bound freefall. Gruden needs weapons. Jackson is that.
21. Your Washington Redskins - CB Aqib Talib, KAN - Again, the draft falls bad for the Skins. It's like one of those choose your own adventure books where keep your place and cheat by reading all the possible outcomes before you actually go there... and then all the endings still suck and you still die on the planet Zenanon 8. I hope someone really wants either a QB or Felix Jones enough to trade here.
22. Dallas Cowboys - RB Felix Jones, ARK - Too easy. Next.
23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jared Mayo, TEN - A steal at #23. He can play almost any of the 4 LB spots... and he could survive a Tomlin transition to a 4-3. I wish they Skins needed a LB bad enough.
24. Tennessee Titans - DT Kentwan Balmer, UNC - I would bet all my money that this pick is wrong. But I have no idea who they should take instead. Reunited VY with Sweed? I dunno.
25. Seattle Seahawks - QB Brian Brohm, LOU - I'd bet they don't want to take a QB here. I bet they want to trade down... but who doesn't? I don't like any of the TEs or OG left as first round talents. Brohm by default.
26. Jacksonville Jaguars - S Kenny Phillips, MIA - They need a safety and the best one is still on the board. I'd have to think they'll be in the Jason Taylor hunt. Makes sense to me.
27. San Diego Chargers - OT Gosder Cherilus, BC - I bet they're hoping for Phillips. This isn't a bad 2nd option for them. Could be worse.
28. Dallas Cowboys - WR Limus Sweed, UT - I think they should go CB just in case PackRat doesn't work out. My gut tells me Jerry wants to score him some TDs. Wade says... well who cares what he says, he'll be fired soon anyway. Ain't that right, Jerry?
29. San Francisco 49ers - CB Antoine Cason, ARI - They need help all over. They'll probably just take the top person left on their board... because it's probably a need. I thought about Sam Baker. Well, to be honest, i thought about a lot of things here.
30. Green Bay Packers - QB Chad Henne, MICH - I actually like Flacco (of what I've seen of him anyway) but Henne makes sense here. Sure, they could do the safe thing (OT Baker), but where's the fun in that?
31. New York Giants - LB Dan Connor, PSU - This seems like the go-to moack draft pick. I still have Baker on my board. None of the secondary pieces seem to fit. Take a shot at one of the falling WRs? I'll take Connor over all of them.
And that's that. As always, comments/criticisms/laughter is always welcome. Hit it up below and enjoy your Draft Day Weekend (because the ol' lady is gonna make sure you make up for it anyway.)